Wulff’s long history is a success story. A conscientious and courteous employee, “a proper young man,” Thomas Fredrik Wulff founded Wulff Oy Ab in 1890. In the 1890s, Thomas Wulff worked in his uncle’s, Gustaf Wilhelm Edlund’s publishing company and bookstore as a librarian. At Edlund’s, the young man learned manners, ethics, and fortitude.
Thomas, however, wanted to find a new line of business, which would enable him to stand on his own two feet. In August 1890, Thomas Wulff opened his small stationery store in Fredrikinkatu Street. Since then the story of Wulff has been a success. This is illustrated by the fact that just nine months after Wulff Oy Ab was founded, the store had to move to a larger facility in Eerikinkatu Street.
Paper trade went well and the store flourished. An indication of Thomas Wulff’s good business skills took place seven years later when Wulff’s flagship, a grand store, moved to a new address in Esplanadi 11. Because the store was located on the corner of Pohjois-Esplanadi and Mannerheimintie streets, it became known as “Wulff’s corner”. Even today, the corner is known by the same name among the people who experienced that era.
The company’s management and ownership remained in the family from Thomas Wulff to his grandson Harry Fr. Wulff, who was the managing director until 1975. In 1987, Wulff Oy Ab’s ownership changed when Sponsor Oy acquired the company and in 1992, the ownership changed to Mercantile Group. In 2002 Beltton Group Plc, the national market leader in office supplies, acquired Wulff Oy Ab.
Being a pioneer has always been important to Wulff. The Group’s companies and the professionals who work there improve Wulff and its operations in cooperation with customers.
Following Thomas Wulff’s example, Wulff is still managed like a family business today. It was always important for the Wulff family to serve their customers in the best possible way – and so it is even today for all of Wulff employees.